From:
"Ryan G. Stone" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1992 12:57:45 -0500
How about a different approach...
Since (if I remembered the previous disscusion correctly) there will be no
independent automatic bid next year, why don't we let the conferences decide
which team is the best in their own division and each conference sends a
representative to the Tournament (YES ONLY 4 teams.)  IMO you have to be the
best in your division to be the best in the country and the seedings of the
4 teams would matter very little, because if you are the best team in the
country you should be able to beat anyone.  This may not give you an accurate
#2, #3 (etc.) team in the country, but the best team should be the best.  The
independents could be each assigned a league and the NCAA could recommend that
an independent qualify for that league's playoffs, if the team is good enough.
Each league can argue about the best way to decide who the best team is and
no league can argue that it was left out, there are the same number of teams
from each division.

Just a thought...

-Ryan Stone
 Lawrence University (Appleton, WI) '93
 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute '93

| RYAN G. STONE                    | | "In the Beginning, there was a Great |
| 218 North Hall, R.P.I.           | |  Void.  Then God said 'Let there be  |
| Troy, NY   12180-3590            | |  Light!'  There was still a Great    |
| (518) 276-7230                   | |  Void, but at least He could see it."|
| e-mail: [log in to unmask]          | |                   -Source Unknown    |