From:
drakelore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
drakelore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 23:05:11 -0400
Well, I may be here in Tampa, but I am sure I am the first of the
Gopher group home as the bar I went to see the game at is only 2.5
miles from home.   I am sure that this afternoon when I went into the
bar and asked them to check their satellite schedule to see if the game
was on and they could show it, they could not believe how big a smile I
gave them when I was told that yes, I could see my Golden Gophers play.

Tonight when I left after the game, I found the owner and thanked him
and he said that I should just call ahead on game day and if it was on,
he would put it up for me.  (I should say here that I have been a
regular customer since I got here in April)  I told him that he might
just be seeing me every Saturday night until April and he said that was
fine with him!  Now I do like to go out and country dance, but since I
spend the same amount of money, I would rather spend it at a place I
like being at (i.e. a family place where I don't get hit on) and be
able to watch hockey (in a non-smoking bar) than in a smokey bar
watching the guys drool over me (yeah, right).  Well, anyway, you get
the picture.

Oh, yeah, the hockey game!

I thought it was a great game, except that the Gophers spent too much
time in the penalty box.  I did like the defensive play in their own
end.  But not to be too critical, but the first Denver goal was a gimme
by Briggs.  He kept his 5-hole open (a bad habit) and that is where the
puck went.  He was not screened.  I know I was not down on the ice, but
I still feel that he should have been able to stop it.

Denver seemed to be the same scrappy team they were last April when
they won the National Championship.  They made the Gophers earn all the
breaks they got.  After watching tonight, I expect a lot from both
these teams this season.  I think they lived up to their top billing.

I was glad to see that one freshman (Gordon - lucky 13) got his first
goal.  And Potulny - with a hat trick - is going to show everyone that
he is a better skilled hockey player than his big brother (which by the
way, Grant always said Ryan was the more talented hockey player).

I have to say I was a bit distracted as the Twins/ Yankees game was on
the big screen TV right next to the one that had the hockey game on, so
I was not paying full attention the first period.  Next time I will sit
two tables down that is closer to the set. So hopefully, my next post
will be a bit more detailed.

I guess I am just still in shock that I was able to watch the game!  I
used to be able to get the audio broadcasts from yahoo last spring, but
for some reason it just does not want to work now with my little iBook.
  And yahoo can't seem to give me any answers.  (They keep sending me
fixes for PC's - ugh!)

Everyone have a great weekend.  (For me, it is two weekends with no
hurricanes - which for us here in Tamps that means it is time to go out
and really party!!!)

Later,

Kathy M.
Go Gophers!