From:
"J. Michael Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Michael Neal
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 23:21:15 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Kaplan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: Zach Parise Inks a Deal with the Devil(s)

> "During the 1994 lockout, players on their initial NHL contracts and those
> who never played in the league were permitted to play in the AHL by an
> agreement between the owners and union. But the relationship between those
> sides appears to be markedly more acrimonious now, and the union might
well
> use the minor leagues as leverage."
>
> So, if they do things the same way as last time, you'll see guys like
> Parise, Pock, etc in the AHL next fall.

That is a very big if.  I don't see it happening.  I expect the NHLPA to use
every bit of leverage it has, because things really have gotten a lot more
acrimonious.  As it says, this requires a special arrangement between
management and labor.  For this to happen, I would expect that the owners
would have to concede something of value in exchange.

J. Michael Neal