From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:38:13 -0500
A much better game tonight at the Pepsi (2-1 Maine in OT in case you
missed it.)  The temperature was a little cooler inside, but the ice
still didn't seem perfect.  A lot of players kept falling down at the
red line, especially when they were back pedalling.

Wisconsin played much better.  They showed they can play defense, and
in fact carried the play in the third period and most of the short OT.
The winning goal was video reviewed, although I don't understand why.
The red light came on immediately and the ref was right there motioning
goal.  Wisconsin could have won if they just had one finisher.  They
created some golden opportunities but couldn't bury a rebound, or make
that extra pass to gain an open net.

All three goals were a little surprising.  Bruckler didn't seem to be
in the game at Maine's very early goal.  He settled down and played
well, although he sprayed a lot of rebounds in the first period.
Wisconsin's D bailed him out repeatedly sweeping away the rebounds, and
that could have been the key to the game. Maine's Howard partially
redeemed himself playing a solid game.  Wisconsin actually out-shot
Maine, but many of those shots were not high quality.  Wisconsin's goal
wasn't exactly highlight reel either.  I give credit to Maine for
tenacity.  They kept coming through even as the Wisconsin D picked off
their passes, or stood up their forwards at the blue line.  And their
tenacity paid off as they jammed the puck over the goal line in OT, a
very Wisconsin-like play.

One final gripe--why won't the NC$$ allow video replays during the
game?  Maybe I could understand not running recaps on the penalties,
but not even the goals?
What is the point in the NC$$ telling arenas they have to put in video
scoreboards if they want to host NC$$ events, and then not allowing
them to show video replays?
Brian Morris                      RPI Engineers
[log in to unmask]     Looking forward to watching the WCHA in Boston