From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:46:56 -0500
John T Whelan wrote, in part:
> There is a straightforward extension which adds the effects of
> home-ice advantage to the Bradley-Terry method used in KRACH.  The
> resulting rating system is one I've taken to calling KASA (KRACH
> Adjusted for Site Advantage).  It's not being published anywhere yet,
> but I've got some code to calculate it.

Interesting.  Can you tell us how this extension works, or give us a
reference, please?  I've always figured "home ice advantage" varied with
each team and what big parties might be on campus the day before each
game. ;-)

Next, we need a system to measure how a team has changed over the course
of the season (wrt a specific or average team?).  Then KASA could be
adjusted to measure the teams as they are now, not (so much) as they
have been over the whole season.

Leaving seriousness behind ... then we could add factors for attendance,
throw in a couple of polls, injury reports plus what Bob Norton thinks,
and we'd have something better than the BCS!

> Here are the odds for each team to advance to a given round of the
> NCAAs according to their KASA ratings.  Since no one is playing on
> home ice, the odds don't look much different from those from KRACH.

I think UNH sould have at least a 50% home ice advantage!

cheers, wayne