Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:32:19 -0500
Steve -

    Thanks so much for your description of the Moulson goal last Friday
night.  Your observations fill in a lot of the blanks in my recollection of
the play and I can now understand how a puck shot from the right dot could
have ended up caroming into the slot area if it had gone into the net.

> Perhaps Brown was also running out of gas a bit in that third period.  This
> was an fast paced physical game.

    No question.  By the overtime, the Bears were running on fumes.

> I am curious about Danis.  Watching Danis warm up my thinking was that if
> he can see the shot he makes the save--I was impressed.  However, in the
> game he seemed to allow an awful lot of rebounds--I think more that we have
> seen from other goalies this year in Lynah.  For the most part Cornell was
> not able to take advantage of these rebounds.  Is that characteristic of
> his play and the Brown defense just unusually takes care of the rebounds or
> was Cornell taking very good shots that Danis could not control as well as
> he normally does?

    Yann does allow the occasional rebound (which may be the only consistent
way for opponents to take advantage of his standout positioning), but the
Bear defense has been able to clear a loose puck away with great efficiency
until last weekend when both Cornell and Colgate (to a greater extent and
with far more production) were able to employ speed and aggressiveness in
gaining control after Yann's initial save.  Also, I would agree that because
the Big Red offense was firing shots on goal from directions (and thru
screens) which tested Yann's ability to get a clear view, and the Brown
defense was unable to clear the way for Yann follow the puck with
continuity, he "could not control as well as he normally does?".

> For the most part Cornell was not able to take advantage of these rebounds.

    Thank goodness.  But it all caught up to the Bears on Saturday night at
Starr.

Bill

LET'S GO BRUNO!