From:
Rich Hovorka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rich Hovorka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:41:56 -0400
Arik wrote:

> Now that I think about it, I haven't seen anyone from Harvard involved in
> this discussion.  It just goes to show that the real problem is that
Harvard
> students, alums, etc. just don't care about their hockey team.  And it's a
> disgrace for a team that's been running near the top of the league for
some
> time to not get that support....

Two examples:

2002 NCAA Regional @ Worcester, MA (a short drive from Cambridge)  The only
block of actual Harvard fans (and not anti-Maine) was the Harvard band.  But
a closer look showed that the band wasn't made up of current undergrads, but
alumni who had clearly been out of school for more than a few years.  For an
NCAA tournament game.

2003 ECAC Championship, Albany NY.  After being present for the Semi-Final
game the previous day, the Harvard band was not to be found for the
Championship game.  The rumor I heard that this Harvard group didn't have
money to stay for the Championship.  I'm pretty surprised that no
hockey/booster club associated with Harvard could help, even with such a
small group of kids.  Or maybe they just didn't want to stay.

The feeling I get when talking to people associated with Harvard is that
it's just trendy these days to be generally apathetic towards low-brow
activities such as being a fan at athletic contests there.  (Harvard-Yale
football perhaps being the exception.)

--Rich