From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:25:14 -0700
http://gocrimson.ocsn.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/082003aaa.html

Reilly Joins Men's Hockey Staff
Veteran collegiate, junior and AHL coach named Assistant Coach

Aug. 20, 2003

Cambridge, MA - Gene Reilly, who has extensive experience coaching in
all levels of organized ice hockey, has been named an assistant coach
at Harvard University, as was announced by head coach Mark Mazzoleni.
Reilly served most recently as an assistant coach with the Binghamton
Senators of the American Hockey League (AHL), and replaces Nate Leaman,
who resigned in July to take the head coaching position at Union
College. Reilly, a 1986 graduate and hockey letterwinner from Elmira
College, comes to Cambridge with an impressive coaching resume. He has
spent the last two seasons with the Senators organization, coaching
Ottawa prospects (which include former Crimson skater Chris Bala '01)
in both Grand Rapids and Binghamton. He helped each of those two clubs
to division championships and more than 40 wins each season. He
previously spent three years on the staff at the University of Maine,
helping the Black Bears to three NCAA Tournament appearances -
including the 1999 National Championship - and serving as the interim
head coach during a portion of the 2000-01 season.

The Springfield, MA native began his coaching career in his hometown in
1988, spending seven years with the Springfield Pics. He began as an
assistant coach, and also served as a co-coach, assistant general
manager, and head coach within that organization during his tenure. He
moved on to the Junior Whalers for two seasons (1995-97), and helped
that team to an overall record of 87-9-7. He was the head coach of the
New England Junior Coyotes in 1997-98 (44-6-1) before joining the staff
at Maine the next season.

"I am really excited to be joining the staff at Harvard," remarked
Reilly, who is currently in Slovakia with the U.S. Under-17 team as an
assistant coach in the Five Nations Cup. "I've seen the positive
strides that this program has made in the last four years, and now the
challenge is to get it to that next level and keep it there. It's a
challenge that I look forward to meeting. We have a good team in place
for the coming year, and I look forward to the seasons ahead."