From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:50:46 -0400
There has been much conversation on message boards run by fans of
Clarkson and St. Lawrence.  I will include the links:
http://www.goldenknightshockey.com/roundtable/forumdisplay.php3?s=290b1f3051a127419b61fa7ecaa280b1&forumid=2
http://www.skatingsaints.com/cgi-bin/message/index.cgi

I will be honest and admit I don't understand all the ins and outs of
financial aid and scholarships. Actually I find it rather confusing.   I
do know that I don't like the sound of this possible change. It does
seem like a group is jumping on a small group who haven't done anything
wrong.

My sister (also an SLU grad) has been opposed to athletic scholarships
basically because she doesn't feel that players should get special
treatment.  She seems to have changed her mind after hearing SLU's
President give GPA information that showed that the hockey players as a
group are, I believe,  above the general student population. Obviously
students aren't getting in who don't fit the academic requirements.

I know there are people who are well versed in financial aid on this
discussion list. I would appreciate hearing from you.   I know that SLU
only started giving athletic scholarships about 6 years ago.  When I was
at SLU there were students that got scholarships due to their high
grades (Presidential Scholars) and where they came from (North Country
Scholars).   I know that my niece was just offered a scholarship and she
doesn't play a sport and wasn't in great financial need.   What makes
these scholarships any different that athletic scholarships (money based
on some desirable trait)? Do not other Div. III schools offer such
scholarships?  I guess I find it hard to believe that all  the money
from Div. III schools is based on financial need.

I hate to think that SLU, Clarkson, RPI and CC will be forced to change
their scholarship rules.  It does seem to me that this will put them at
a disadvantage against the bigger schools that are often state funded
schools.  All of these schools have been playing Div. I hockey for a
long time and I would hate to see that change.  Weren't we playing a lot
of our Div. 1 opponents even before there was the NCAA?

Sara
SLU '77
Let's go SAINTS!!!