Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:34:26 -0400
Arthur Berman BU74, Harvard90 wrote concerning Texas goalie McKee:
> This sounds like a pro transaction to me.  So much for educational
> priorities being top priority at Ivy League schools.

Your original posting insinuated that Cornell compromised academic
standards by admitting an David McKee in late June, early July.  I
responded by providing you with a fact that David McKee had already
been admitted, and that it was McKee's decision whether or not he would
come to Cornell.

> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, John An wrote:
>> Actually, according to reliable sources, McKee had already been
>> admitted to Cornell on his merit.  He (McKee) deferred his admission
>> see whether or not LeNeveu would leave or not.  Of course I could be
>> wrong, but if this is the situation, then I don't think academic
>> priorities have been compromised.

Doesn't sound like a pro transaction to me.  Then you respond:

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 12:07  AM,
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> If his decision was based on whether LeNeveu was there that proves the
> point that academics is/was not the first priority.
>
> Arthur Berman
> North Vancouver, BC

Regardless of why McKee had originally deferred his admission to
Cornell, there is no evidence that Cornell University compromised
academic integrity to get McKee on the hockey team.

Hypothetical example:
A highschool student applies to several colleges that s/he wants to
attend, and gets accepted into one in New York City and one in
Providence, RI.  S/he really wants to live in a vibrant city, so s/he
chooses the school in New York City.  Does the fact that geographic
preference influenced his/her decision prove that the academic
standards of either the student or the academic institution had been
compromised?