From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:57:36 -0400
Can't say much about possible western regional sites, although I would think
either Mariucci or St. Cloud would be a good choice since either the Gophs
or the Huskies, or both, are probably a good bet to be in a 16 team field
next year.

As for the east, Worcester is already a given, to be hosted by BU.  I would
think that it would be imperative to have the other Eastern site be within a
reasonable driving distance of Boston since it is likely that, besides BU,
BC, Maine, UNH and Harvard will all be in the mix to stay in the east next
year.  One of the NCAA's primary motives to expand the tournament is to make
more money, true?  For that reason alone, they have to make sure that the
regional sites are accessible to the fans that will bring the biggest
crowds.

I know that UNH will be putting a bid in to host a regional in Manchester
and I assume that Providence College would do the same for Providence.  I
have nothing against Albany and the Pepsi Center but the last regional I
attended there (1998), the crowds weren't that great despite having BU, BC
and UNH in the field.  As for Lake Placid, lots of history, good facility,
great town but, really, it's a long way from anywhere.  Can't see even Maine
or UNH fans, let alone those from BC or Harvard, schlepping there in great
numbers.

JMHO.

Greg Ambrose