From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 09:02:57 -0500
>         Yes, now that you bring that game back to mind, I would certainly
> add it to my list, not for it's pure excitement as much as for game
strategy
> (Walsh) and individual (Kariya & Montgomery, Dunham & Snow) brilliance.

Down two to start the third to the defending champions and Montgomery nets a
hat trick in the third period to give Maine the win.  Sounds pretty exciting
to me!

I actually thought 1999 Maine/UNH was a better game.  Maine went up 2-0,
then almost went ahead 3-0, but Jason Vitorino had skated through the corner
of the crease and the goal was disallowed.  Not long after that the Wildcats
found a then freshman named Darren Haydar out of the penalty box for a
breakaway goal and the game changed.  UNH went on to tie the game and it
took overtime to decide it when Marcus Gustafsson collected a rebound of his
own shot and beat Ty Conklin.

I was privledged to be in Providence for the Maine/Michigan triple-overtime
thriller, which is the best hockey game I've ever seen.  But I've thought a
lot about the 99 final with the Maine/UNH matchup looming on Thursday.  I
think that we are going to witness another classic.

-Deron