Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 00:57:00 -0500
 Charlie Shub wrote -

> Worst ice drillers, yes, worst arena, no way.  Providence is a piss
> poor (in number of facilities) arena.

        Never pan a hometown barn.  I just thought Riverfront was run down,
dingy and needed to catch up on deferred maintenance.  I would readily admit
that, until recently, the Providence Civic Center had some deferred
maintenance problems of its own, just not as many as I remember in
Cincinnati.  They put some money into the PCC after the 2000 Frozen Four and
recently sold the name of the structure to Dunkin' Donuts.  That's right --
it's now the Dunkin' Donuts Center.

> yeah, if it wasn't for the arena, i'd go back to providence in a
> minute.

        I never thought the PCC was that bad, particularly as far as the
sightlines go.  Most people say it's still head and shoulders above the
Centrum in Worcester from that perspective.  Plus, apart from its small
seating capacity for hockey (approx. 11,500), it was still a decent enough
facility to win bids to host five Frozen Four tourneys and one Eastern
Regional.  One thing for sure, without any balcony or luxury boxes, no one
could complain they were too far away from the ice to really enjoy the game,
much less read the names on the uniforms.

> I'd go for maine's comeback over lake state in 93

        Yes, now that you bring that game back to mind, I would certainly
add it to my list, not for it's pure excitement as much as for game strategy
(Walsh) and individual (Kariya & Montgomery, Dunham & Snow) brilliance.

Bill Corrigan

LET'S GO BRUNO!