From:
Jeremy Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:18:24 -0500
>On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > The best thing to do to put ties in their proper place, and value wins
> > appropriately, is to do what real football (soccer for you grid crazed
> > Americans) does.  Award three points for a win and one for a tie.  This
> > discourages playing for a tie but rewards a hard fought even effort.
>
>Ack!  Just say NO to non-zero-sum point systems.  How do you calculate
>winning percentages when some games are worth two points and others
>worth three?  And is a team's strength-of-schedule lower because they
>play in a conference with a lot of ties?

Well, if you INSIST on having winning percentage (which I guess we still do
in college hockey), keep the system of counting a tie as half a win, and
half a loss.  The points only come into play in-conference anyway.

Me, I favor 20-minute sudden death OTs until someone scores as an
alternative to ties.  Shootouts, IMHO, are an abomination.  I thought
defense was part of the game....

Jeremy Hall
Clarkson '91
LET'S GO TECH!