From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 07:02:32 -0800
--- Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>ECAC DI NORTH
>Brown                                           Colgate
>Cornell                                         Dartmouth
>Harvard                                         Princeton
>St. Lawrence                                    Vermont
>Yale
>Union College plans to have a DI Women's varsity side starting in
>2003-2004. Clarkson and RPI are both thinking about it, but I'd say we are
>a few years off, at least, for both.
>
> Of the schools mentioned here, all but Clarkson, Rensselaer, Saint
> Lawrence and Unkon are DI; these four are DIII schools with DI Men's
> Hockey.  Saint Lawrence fields a women's DI team in addition to their DI
> Men's team.
> Does the NCAA's one-sport exemption (the one where a DIII school can
carry > one DI sport) apply to both sides of a single sport?

No - for example Colorado College is D3 in all sports except DI men's ice
hockey and women's footer (soccer).  And some schools have switched what
their 1 men's and 1 women's DI sport is.

>Which brings us to Sacred Heart and Holy Cross.  Both have DIII Women's
>teams, and seem to be dancing around the idea for going DI.
> SH and HC are DI schools, no?  How can they have a DIII team?  The MAAC
> had  to go DIAA in football in order to keep their football programs.

Yes Joe is 100% correct and I am silly for phrasing it the way I did.
Sacred Heart, Holy Cross are DI's (and I think St. Michael's is a D2)
playing women's ice hockey in a D3 league.

Meanwhile Union, RPI, SLU and Clarkson are D3 schools, with SLU playing
Men's and Women's ice hockey as DI.

That means, in NC$$ terms, as I understand it, if you are a DI or D2 school
playing in a D3 league, you aren't able to participate the D3 Frozen Four.
If and when there are automatic qualifiers for a league to the NC$$'s, it
would mean those teams could not play in their league playoff either!

I'm not positive, but I think this also has an effect on pairwise?
Though Colgate, a DI playing DIII last season is listed in last year's PWR?
hmmmmm?
BTW - where is PWR - there has to be enough data by now!
I wish www.collegehockeystats.com did PWR.

=====
                    \
    good shooting