From:
Cathy Spreeman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cathy Spreeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:36:28 -0400
 From Rick McAdoo, 23 April, re: the BC awards banquet:
"Hughes had the best line of the night from my perspective
   when he accepted this one, saying, with a perplexed/bemused look on his
   face, "I don't know what to say.  I've been up here twice already and
   Gionta's still in his seat.")

Meanwhile, the Friends of UNH Hockey held its annual awards banquet last
Saturday, April 21.  Marty Hughes may have gotten to the podium twice
before Brian Gionta at the BC awards, but Brian was named the recipient of
the first award given out at UNH's banquet: the Most Worthy Opponent award.

A fitting tribute, I'd say.  Even from the perspective of a fan of an
opposing Hockey East team, he had a remarkable career and earned respect.
I still remember seeing him for the first time at the Whitt, digging out my
program to find out who he was, and thinking, "Who is that kid?  He's
amazing!"    Four years later he's skating around the ice with the National
Championship trophy.   Fantastic!

CCS
"Go Cats!"