From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:26:40 -0500
Maine - Northeastern was riddled with the same call by Benedetto.
I remember at least two calls, but the summaries I read only mention
"interference", not "obstruction/interference"

I think the key word is "obstruction".  Think of it like a hoop player
setting a pick.  The "getting in the way" seems the operative action, unlike
"regular" interference where the player would follow the opponent around
for awhile, checking the opponent although they do not have the puck.
Maybe it's the lack of a check, yet the guilty party keeps the opponent
out of the developing play.

Someone have the updated rule book ???

>Date:         Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:16:41 -0500
>Sender: - Hockey-L - The College Hockey Discussion List
>From: "Moller, Edward N." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      It sure sounds redundant to me
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>So far this season there have been a spate of obstruction interference
>penalties.  I believe that during the BU-UVM game John Gravellese called
>five in the first period alone.  Would someone please explain what this call
>means, how it came on to the books this year, and how it differs from plain
>old fashioned interference.  I know the NHL has been assessing obstruction
>penalties for a few years now, but I can't figure out what they mean.
>
>Edward N. Moller
>Controller
>Mount Ida College
>Newton Centre, MA  02459-3323
>Tel (617) 928-4515
>Fax (617) 928-4746

Dan Doucette

U Maine Hockey wins it all in odd-numbered years !!