From:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:59:07 -0500
On Sunday, November 5, 2000, Jim Teresco wrote:

> "A player, including the goalkeeper, shall not delay the game by
> deliberately displacing a goal post from its normal position.  The
> appropriate on-ice official shall stop play when a goal post has been
> displaced.  Note:  If the non-offending team has an offensive
> opportunity, play shall be allowed to continue until the scoring
> chance is complete."

The note is a rule change for this year, which is why you've never
heard it before. I believe the change is because the NCAA has no
provision for awarding an obvious and imminent goal, so if the
goalframe is displaced when the goalie is off the ice, he would come
back on to defend against the ensuing penalty shot. However, the goalie
is off the ice a very small percentage of the time, and this covers all
play.

I also don't know what the limits are for how far off the goalframe is.
If it gets pushed into the corner, do you score into the net, or where
the net used to be? That's a bit ridiculous, I'll admit, but there is
some chance for ambiguity in the intermediate situations.

> It sounds like the call was valid, although I admit I had never heard
> of the last part before.  The key, however, is the word "deliberately"
> in the above rule.

I'm not sure that's an accurate reading. The sentence immediately
preceding the note (and the one to which the note is relevant) is about
any time the net is displaced. One could interpret the note as: Don't
stop play unless the attacking team (a) has possession and (b) didn't
knock the net off. In other words, let play continue if the defending
team knocked the net off, whether intentionally or not. It'd be nice if
there were an interpretation to go along with that.

Was Kotyra's arm up for a delayed call when the goal was scored?

Pat Carr
Cornell '96