From:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:59:37 -0500
This is a pair of names that brings back memories.  The third player
on their line was Serge Boylie (spelling obviously wrong but Sean can
figure it out)

Back in those days BU was Cornell's arch rival and even though I
hated to loose to BU I loved to watch the Wakabayashi/Wright line.
They were incredibly quick,  ferocious forecheckers and seemed to
create scoring opportunities every time they were in the offensive
zone.  The 1968 and 1969 Cornell team had three time all-american
goalie Ken Dryden and three defenders who were or would be
all-americans and other defenders that were all-Ivy and/or on ECAC
and NCAA all-tournament teams.  These Cornell teams were great
defensively but Wakabayashi & Wright stretched that defense like no
other players we faced.  I have a vivid memory of a sequence that
left Dryden sprawled in the crease after a spectacular save looking
almost quizzically at the puck in his glove while Wakabayashi &
Wright are frantically trying to get past the defenders who have them
stood up at the crease edge.

Steven Rockey
Director of the Mathematics Library
420 Malott Hall