Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:31:43 -0400
Fairfield Hockey Head Coach Mark Dennehy Resigns

Fairfield, Conn. – Fairfield University athletics director Gene Doris
announced today that head ice hockey coach Mark Dennehy has resigned his
position to become an assistant coach at the University of Massachusetts, a
member of Hockey East.

“We appreciate all that Mark has done in directing our hockey program and wish
him well in his new endeavors,” said Doris.  “Now, our task is to find a coach
who will continue the improvements we’ve made, especially in the MAAC Hockey
League.”

Dennehy led the young Stags to a 3-28-3 record in his only season at
Fairfield.  The top six scorers were freshman, led by Rae Metz (Kent, Ohio),
who tallied 40 points en route to earning All-Rookie honors.

Dennehy rejoins, Don “Toot” Cahoon, who resigned as the head coach at
Princeton to accept the same position at UMass.  From 1996-99, they guided
Princeton to three consecutive Eastern College Athletic Conference
Championship Tournament (ECAC) appearances.  In 1997-98, the Tigers advanced
to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history after a 5-4
victory over Clarkson in the ECAC Tournament Championship. Princeton lost 2-1
to eventual national champion Michigan in the West Regional, ending the
campaign with an 18-11-7 record.

“The Fairfield program has come along way in a short period of time and is now
firmly entrenched in the MAAC and heading in the right direction,” said
Dennehy.  “I have the utmost respect for Don Cahoon, and this is a great
opportunity for me to coach with him again.”

Before arriving at Princeton, Dennehy served as a volunteer assistant coach at
UMass from 1994-96.  He was a member of three Hockey East Champion teams at
Boston College during his playing career.  The Eagles advanced to the NCAA
Tournament three consecutive seasons, highlighted by a Frozen Four appearance
at Joe Louis Arena, home of the Detroit Redwings, in 1991.

Marc Gignac
Assistant Director of Sports Information
Fairfield University
(p) 203-254-4000 x. 2877
(f) 203-254-4117
www.fairfieldstags.com