From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:26:43 +0900
>Do these players that are signing contracts with NHL teams have player
>agents working for them? I thought a college player wasn't allowed to have
>a player agent working on his behalf or they would lose their NCAA
>eligibility.
>It's one thing if you are a senior but guys like Eric Cole from Clarkson
>must have had an agent and especially the players who are signing as free
>agents must of had an agent promoting them to NHL teams.
>
>Donna

All these guys have what are termed "family advisors".  I guess it makes it
legal in the eyes of the NCAA but, in my mind, its just another example of
the shallowness and selectivity of the NCAA's enforcement arm.  Mind you, I
have no objection to these players and their families getting input from
knowlegable sources about the potential for professional careers.  After
all, everyone of these guys playing D1 thinks at some point that they can
play professionally.

My problem is with the NCAA enforcement arm clamping down on some "agents"
and not others.  I would like to see a rational explanation from them as to
why Erick Barkley's (late of St. Johns) relationship with an attorney was
wrong but Bobby Orr's relationship with several college hockey players is
OK.

As long as the NCAA continues with this apparent double standard, it has no
credibility in this area.

Greg Ambrose