From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1992 10:54:14 EST
Achilles Rink, Schenectady, NY
Saturday, 2/15/92

Clarkson   4 1 1 - 6
Union      1 1 1 - 3

Scoring:
1st Period-
1) Clarkson, Thomas 20 (from Dubinsky and Fotheringham) 6:26
2) Union, Railton 8 (from Ferrero) 7:25 (sh)
3) Clarkson, Sanderson 4 (from Tuomainen) 11:42 (pp)
4) Clarkson, Dubinsky 16 (from Thomas) 18:38
5) Clarkson, Torrey 5 (from Robitaille and Marchant) 19:11

2nd Period-
6) Union, Flowers 7 (from Clifford and Ferrero) 3:13 (pp)
7) Clarkson, Tuomainen 7 (from Sanderson and Dubinsky) 6:33 (pp)

3rd Period-
8) Union, Ferrero 11 (from Kelley and Burchill) 2:37
9) Clarkson, Thomas 21 (from Dubinsky and Sanderson) 4:17

Shots on goal: Clarkson 16-11-13--40, Union 4-8-11--23.

Power Play Opportunities: Clarkson 2 of 8, Union 1 of 6.

Goalies: Clarkson, Currie (W,6-4-0)(23 shots, 20 saves)
         Union, Villa (L,2-8-1)(40 shots, 34 saves)

Attendance: 2374/2504

Clarkson jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first period, then held on to
beat Union, 6-3, at Achilles Rink.  With the loss, Union was
eliminated from the playoffs in their first ECAC season.

The first period was sloppy on both sides, with quite a few penalties
being called.  Clarkson opened the scoring with a goal from Scott
Thomas at 6:26.  After the goal, all 5 Clarkson players ended up in
the net on top of goalie Luigi Villa, who took a few minutes to get
up.  Clarkson went on the power play when Gary Edmands went to the box
just a few seconds later.  But Clarkson couldn't get anything going.
Their defense gave up the puck to Union's Craig Ferrero, who sent Bill
Railton in for the shorthanded score to tie the game.  The Knights
took the lead for good with a power play goal at 11:42.  Late in the
period, Union's power play defense gave up the puck to Thomas, who
came in 2-on-1 with Dubinsky for their 3rd goal.  Under a minute later
at 19:11, Jeff Torrey beat Villa from a bad angle for the 4-1 lead.

Union had a very strong power play early in the 2nd, and it paid off
when Jayson Flowers scored on a rebound at 3:13.  Clarkson regained
the 3-goal lead just 4 seconds into a penalty on Greg Steele on a
quick shot by Marko Tuomainen.  The teams traded a few power plays
late in the period, but neither team could manage another goal.  Jason
Currie stopped a breakaway by Union's Dalton Menhall midway through
the period, and a partial break by Flowers soon after.

Union came out very strong in the third.  They were able to pull back
within 2 at 5-3 on Ferrero's 11th goal of the season.  But Clarkson
came right back, with Thomas scoring for the second time, beating
Villa from the top of the left faceoff circle.  It looked like a shot
that Villa should have saved.  There was no more scoring, but there
was one unusual problem, when the puck got lodged in the skate of one
of the Clarkson players.  It took a few minutes to get the puck out.

Clarkson is now 12-5-1 in the ECAC, 17-8-1 overall.  Union is 1-16-1
in the ECAC, 2-18-1 overall.  Union will travel to Cornell and Colgate
next weekend to complete their road schedule before finishing the
season at home against Yale and Princeton.

Union notes:

- Craig Ferrero's 3 points give him sole possesion of 4th place on the
all-time Union scoring list with 133 points.  Terry Campbell (1987-91)
tops the list with 170 points.

- Coach Delventhal was very happy with the team's performance against
both SLU and Clarkson.  He felt it was the first time all season that
the Dutchmen have played a full 120 minutes of good hockey in a
weekend.

Visiting Bands and fans:

Clarkson was the third visiting band to come to Achilles this year.
Cornell brought a small band early in January, along with about 1000
fans.  These were probably the loudest visitors we've had all year.  3
weeks ago, RPI came in, with over 1000 fans and a good sized band.
The RPI band takes the award for best music between periods.  At this
game, there were a lot of Clarkson fans, and a band of about 25.
Compared to the Cornell and RPI fans, the Clarkson fans were quiet for
the most part.  A few chants of "Let's go Tech", but not much else.  I
was very impressed with the band, though.  They had a lot of fillers
during breaks in the action.  They played for over a half hour before
the game, and about 15 minutes after.  They were louder than RPI and
Cornell, sometimes too loud for a rink the size of Achilles.  The
Clarkson band gets the team spirit award for having a large enough
group willing to make the trip to Troy and Schenectady.
--
| Jim Teresco			Union College                                 |
| [log in to unmask]	Schenectady, NY 12308			      |