From:
Brian Hvinden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Hvinden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:05:02 -0500
On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Nathan Eric Hampton wrote:

I'll agree and disagree here.  The audience definately includes the bass
fishing and NASCAR contingent, but I think you need to let the game sell
itself.  The announcers kept mentioning the The Frozen Four was one of the
best bargains and that the action is incredible.  Focus on that, actually
dig up some highlights from the regular season.

Focusing on stars, absolutely the wrong way to go.  The NBA has been
absolutely burned by this, and now even baseball to a lesser extent.  It's
Shaq and the Lakers vs Karl Malone and the Jazz.  Ratings are way down
and no one cares about the HUGE matchups anymore.  That worked with
Micheal Jordan, becuase he's well - Michael Jordan.  Stars that no ones
really heard of - even if they won the Hobey - aren't stars at all.

A possibly better approach (not that I'm advocating it) is the
Olympic-style human interest approach.  Studies show this plays with the
common fan, especially women.  An example is UND's Karl Goehring -
seemingly the kid next door, recovering from an injury that is
increasingly associated to the game - leading his team to a title.  BC
probably had similar stories we just never heard about. I know this might
make the hard core fan gag too, but it's better than hearing about two
line passes and no-touch icing incessantly.

Finally if I could have any announcers, I'd take Harry Neale and Ron
McLean.

Just my $.02

Brian