From:
Brian Hvinden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Hvinden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 01:45:32 -0500
On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Sara M. Fagan wrote:

> Well, I am now home from the final game.  I enjoyed the tourney except
> that my team didn't win.  Wait 'til next year.  I am also a bit upset
> over a misunderstanding I had with the program vendor.  When I stepped
> up to the gentleman selling the programs I saw the exact same cover as
> on the program I got in Albany.  So I said. "The same as in Albany?" and
> he responded "Yes".  Well, I wasn't thinking that there was only the
> Eastern Regional stuff in the one I got in Albany...I haven't looked it
> over entirely.  But I didn't get the one in Providence.  I now realize
> that I should have.  It wasn't the same as in Albany.  Only the photo on
> the cover was.  Drats.
>
> Not having a program means I couldn't answer the question posed to me:
> How tall is the North Dakota goalie?  Can anyone give me the info?

Officially he's listed as 5' 7" and that's probably right within an inch.

> Folks have commented before how tired they grow of "Hail to the Victors"
> after attending a game with the Michigan pep band.  Well, I now wonder
> how long it will take to get "In Heaven there ain't no beer" out of my
> head.  Can someone tell me if that is North Dakota's fight song?  Do
> they have alternate words?  I couldn't tell what they were singing.

No, that's not the fight song.  There are actually two songs, "Stand Up
and Cheer", normally played at the start of a period or following a goal,
and "Fight on Sioux", played to during penalty kills and when the team is
trailing.  Both are pretty catchy tunes.

> In past years there has been much posted about bands.  Through those
> postings and other conversations I have learned that there is such a
> thing as band etiquette - such as playing on alternate stoppage of
> play.  It seemed to me that North Dakota's band was ignoring that point
> of etiquette.  I heard very little from the BC band but I was in the end
> with the ND band.

Can't comment on this, but I'm not sure if the current band has ever been
in a situation where another band is present.  At home they battle the PA
muzak so it might be the "fight or flight" instinct kicking in. ;-)

> At the beginning of the game I wasn't quite sure who to root for.  I
> often cheer for the east over the west, but BC had knocked my Saints
> out.  But if BC won and won big then maybe it would look good for SLU
> who didn't get blown out by BC.  I was thinking I might root for ND
> because I couldn't bear all the BC coverage on the local news (I am in
> the Boston area.)  I must say that I was leaning more towards ND when
> the fellow in the seat next to me made a comment as he took his seat (I
> was wearing my SLU sweatshirt).  I was really pushed to ND when the BC
> fans all booed as the ND players were introduced.  I am a firm believer
> in rooting for your team and not against the other.  I don't like the
> sieve cheer, either..

Hope you met some friendly Sioux fans.  Our former Hockey SID came from
St. Lawrence so I was pulling for them.  And after learning from the ESPN
guys that St. Lawrence was a small school with only 2000 students, I
thought I should cheer for the fellow little guy. ;-)

> I attending the Hockey-l dinner on Thursday and enjoyed it.  I liked
> meeting some of the people that I see post here.  I am sorry that I
> didn't get to talk with more folks.  I am  looking forward to the
> Hockey-l dinner in Albany next year.  I appreciated all the kind words
> that folks had to say.  Thank you for making the weekend even more
> enjoyable.  And again, I would like to thank the Hockey-lers who helped
> me get tickets.  Your kindness is much appreciated.

Wish I could have made the trip from Grand Forks.  But I've still got
memories of Milwaukee.  I'm also looking forward to seeing the Saints here
next season.

Brian