From:
"T. N. Long" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
T. N. Long
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 14:01:36 -0500
I want to thank Eric Carlson for providing such useful information in his
last two posts on the subject.  I also want to thank him for pointing
toward where the information could be found.  He may actually be able to
train me to do my own research.

Eric wrote:

>If you go to http://www.ncaa.org/sponsorships/ on the NCAA web site and
>click on "schools sponsoring each sport sorted by division" and then pick
>men's ice hockey and run report, you will get a report for all 3 divisions.
>Wayne State is currently listed as Division I.  On Nov. 2 when I ran and
>saved the report they are listed as Division II.  If you click on the school
>name now they are listed as Division II but with men's and women's ice
>hockey as Division I.  Alabama-Huntsville as well as Bentley, Mercyhurst,

From what I remembered concerning Nebraska-Omaha and Niagara's inaugural
seasons, I thought this was the case.  The difference is that I think NU is
a D1 institution while WSU & UNO are DII institutions.   But, is WSU still
not tournament eligible in 2000-2001?

Since WSU is classified D1, will games against them count toward the
opposing team's minimum number of D1 games for tournament eligibilty (even
if WSU is not tournament eligible)?  Again, I'm hoping for some
substantiated information on this subject.

>Findlay, and Bemidji from the MAAC and CHA were and still are listed as
>Division II.
>
>There was some question at the beginning of the year as to whether UAH met
>the deadline to declare Division I for this year, but I don't remember what
>the final outcome was about that.
>
>Eric Carlson
>

>According to the NCAA News & Features on December, 7, 1998 at
>
>http://www.ncaa.org/news/19981207/active/3538n25.html
>
>"Under NCAA reclassification provisions, Alabama-Huntsville will be
>officially recognized as a Division I men's ice hockey member in 2000-01,
>pending the institution's compliance with appropriate divisional legislation
>for a two-year period. Until that time, the Chargers are prohibited from
>NCAA championship competition. "
>
>The NCAA will not call them Division I until next season even though UAH
>announced they were reclassifying the program to D1 in June 1998.  Bemidji,
>Bentley, and Mercyhurst will also be "officially" D1 next season according
>to the same article.  It's definitely sort of splitting hairs but you can't
>be Division 1 until you complete the two year reclassification period.
>Until then you remain in the previous division as far as the NCAA is
>concerned and can't play in either division's championships but you have to
>follow the Division I rules.  I guess they are in divisional limbo for two
>years.  Among other things they get only a Division II cut of the NCAA
>revenue even though they must comply with D1 rules during that period.  I
>read one case too for one school where a number of players eligible under
>the D2 rules suddenly became ineligible the next year under D1 rules even
>though they were just starting the two year reclassification period.

Many Thanks,
TNL

T. N. Long
TN Tech. Phi Delta Theta #102