From:
"T. N. Long" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
T. N. Long
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 21:41:55 -0500
Wodon, Adam wrote:

>Since the NCAA men's ice hockey is a purely mathematical process ... it is
>possible with 100% accuracy to proclaim the technique toward arriving at
>that process.
>
>One of the provisions of the selection process is that a game against a
>non-tournament eligible team will not be factored into the equation.
>
>Since there are no subjective decisions made by the committee, it ends
>there.  Even if they wanted to take those games into consideration, it is
>not allowed by the guidelines of the process they and the Division I coaches
>have created.
>
>There is no debating this point.  Agree with it or not, it IS a FACT.
>
>For further explanation of the selection process, see U.S. College Hockey
>Online's or John Whelan's web site.
>
>Adam W.
>USCHO

Can anyone be more specific regarding where at the U.S. College Hockey
Online website that these guidelines are published?  Are they official NCAA
guidelines, or are they U.S. College Hockey Online's
interpretations/opinions?

Also, can anyone provide John Whelan's web address and/or a brief
explanation of who John Whelan is.   Please understand that I'm not
DEBATING any point here.  I'm just an average sportsman who's always
believed (maybe naively) that competition takes place on the court, ice,
field, etc.  I'm just now trying to educate myself on the "purely
mathematical process", why there is a selection committee if "there are no
subjective decisions", and now how Q failed to receive a tournament
invitation if "there are no subjective decisions".

Who knows?  If you educate me (and others who may be observing this
thread), you may be able to convince me why Niagara's PWR ranking should be
ignored, their tournament performance should be ignored, and why the
Niagara athletes shouldn't think of themselves as a Top 10 team in 2000 D1
hockey.

Thanks in Advance Again,
Terry

T. N. Long