From:
Grady Whittenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Grady Whittenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:48:32 -0500
Thankfully, "Mike" Noeth announced his retirement after the last weekend's ECAC tourney (and not a shift too soon!!!).  He made a mockery of the Cornell/Colgate consolation game in his last official act in tormenting the ECAC teams, spectators & broadcasters.

The word is that apparently the coaches request him...not sure why as I (and the team I cover) am continually exposed to his inability to properly officiate a game.  It leaves me scratching my head as to how in the world he ever made it to the NHL!

From the ECAC, the guys you don't want (IMO and in no particular order) are: the aforementioned/retired Mike Noeth, Dan Murphy, Fred Campetelli, Bill Doiran, Drew Taylor.  If you draw John Murphy or Scott Hansen, consider yourself lucky.

That said, each game (and the way it's officiated) is independent of previous games.  For a team to formulate a game plan designed around a particular official is foolish.  Each game has it's own personality and teams adjust accordingly as the game unfolds whether changes are forced by the opponent's style or by the way the game is being called.  Noeth has/had the ability the call a good game chose otherwise on many occasions.  Have you ever seen 3 goals for one team waved off in one game???  Cornell fans saw it happen in one period vs Princeton this season with Mr. Noeth at the controls...the Red prevailed despite him.

Grady Whittenburg
The Voice of Cornell University Big Red Hockey