From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:49:19 -0500
OK, I haven't been doing much reporting on Cornell's 1999-2000 season, but I
gotta write this one up, if for no other reason than that the next time
somebody asks if I've ever heard of a hockey player doing something so stupid,
I'll be able to say, "well, yes, as a matter of fact."

Riding a four-game unbeaten streak, the Big Red returned to ECAC play Monday
night, hosting Dartmouth in a game originally scheduled for last Friday.
 Cornell outshot the Big Green 32-21 and had the better of the play early on,
but ultimately wound up dropping a 3-2 decision at Lynah Rink.  The loss was
the Big Red's third straight in the ECAC and dropped them into eighth place
with a 4-5 record.

Some strong pressure in the Dartmouth end finally paid off for Cornell at 9:56
of the first period, as they notched the game's first goal.  Ryan Moynihan
skated toward the right circle, took a pass from Mike Rutter, and fired a low
shot that beat Big Green goalie Nick Boucher through the pads.  Cornell kept
buzzing the Dartmouth net for most of the first period, but Boucher came up
with some great saves to keep the Big Red from doing further damage.  At the
other end, goaltender Matt Underhill was not seeing much action, but some
sloppy defensive play in the Cornell end late in the period resulted in the
game-tying score.  Jamie Herrington was able to get the puck off the left
boards, and with the Cornell defenders closing in on him, he rifled a pass to a
wide-open Pete Summerfelt in front of the Cornell net.  Summerfelt beat a
diving Underhill for the goal at the 17:24 mark.

Cornell continued its strong play, especially on the power play, in the second
period, but Dartmouth began to get chances of its own.  Both goaltenders came
up big several times in the scoreless period, and as the period wore on,
Dartmouth was able to slow things down to some extent with a solid checking
game.  In the third, Dartmouth took the lead at the 8:08 mark off a scramble in
front.  Ryan Burkart got credit for the goal, which was deflected at least once
before getting past a screened Underhill.

The Big Green's third goal came off a faceoff deep in the Cornell end, when
Herrington won the draw back to Mike Maturo who surprised Underhill with a
quick shot at the 17:16 mark.  After the ensuing faceoff at center ice,
Underhill departed for the extra attacker, but a Dartmouth player got control
of the puck near the Cornell blue line and fired at the empty net with about
2:30 left.  Fortunately for the Big Red, the shot hit the post and bounced
harmlessly away.

Unfortunately for the Big Green, the one person who thought the puck went in
the net was the one who had the worst view of the shot -- Boucher.  The
Dartmouth goalie proceeded to skate to the corner of the rink and did a little
celebratory taunting of the fans in section A, who had been on his case most of
the night. Of course, the problem with doing that while the puck is still in
play is that somebody like, oh, say, Cornell's David Adler could skate the puck
to center ice and, oh, maybe, let fly with a shot toward the unoccupied
Dartmouth net.  Which is exactly what happened with 2:20 remaining in the
third.  It took Boucher a moment or two to discover why the fans suddenly
started celebrating.  And boy, did the Lynah Faithful have fun with the
traditional "it's all your fault" chant after that one.

Boucher wound up getting the last laugh, however, as the Big Red was not able
to get the equalizer despite pulling Underhill again for the last minute or so.
 After the final buzzer, Boucher taunted the fans again on his way off the ice,
performing an exhibition with his stick that was a bit, ah, graphic.  (I'll
leave it at that -- whatever image you've got in your head is probably correct)
The cocky little [censored] -- excuse me, the Big Green goalie finished the
night with 32 saves, while Underhill had 18.

Next up for Cornell is a home-and-home series with travel partner Colgate,
beginning Friday with the trip to Hamilton.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"Anyway, after I've made my James Joyce faux pas, he invariably gives me an
 indulgent chuckle:  'Heh-heh-heh-heh, ohhh my -- James Joyce didn't write
 _Trees_.  _Trees_ was written by Joyce Kilmer.'  Of course, then I ask 'who
 is SHE?' and I destroy myself completely."