From:
John Gabarra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:52:08 EST
In a message dated 11/24/1999 10:49:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< > In the last minute of the game, with a scramble around the UMass goal, a
 > UMass defenseman intentionally dislodged the net.  UVM was given the
 > choice of a power play or a penalty shot, and they scored on the sub-
 > sequent penalty shot. >>

In the last 2 minutes of a game, or anytime during overtime, an intentional
disloging of the net results in a minor penalty for delay of game OR a
penalty shot - captain's choice.

>But speaking of rules, I learned my "interpretation" of the high-sticking
>rule was incorrect all these years .... UNH's first goal vs. BU on Friday
>night was scored when Shipulski batted down a more-than-shoulder-high puck
>behind the net that caromed off a BU defenseman's skate right to Ficek who
>swatted it home past DiPietro.  I'd always believed that NC$$ rules spec-
>ified that once a puck was struck by a high-stick the play was dead, irre-
>spective of who touched the puck next.

If a puck is struck above 4' off the ice(not shoulder height - that is the
youth hockey rule) High sticking will be called if the puck is then touched
by the offending player or a team mate. If it is touched by a player of the
non-offending team, it shall be waived off. The resulting face off will occur
in the defending zone of the offending team.

Hope this clarifies it.

Regards,
John