From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 18:54:22 -0700
On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Satow, Clay wrote:

> I've never lived in Canada, but I'd guess the "typical" Canadian is more
> like the "typical" American (especially the segments of the population that
> attend Union) than any other nationality, and that the differences between
> the "typical" Canadian and the "typical" American are no greater than, and
> probably less than, the differences between, say, the "typical" New
> Englander and the "typical" southerner or between the "typical" Silicon
> Valley Californian and the "typical" Minnesotan.

You should do a little less "guessing".  I'm an expat US person who took
out Canadian citizenship (proudly-which reflects my US heritage).  There
is a big difference between Americans and Canadians, but most Canadians
are too polite to point them out.

One aspect of Canadian culture, for sure, is that we don't want to be
assimilated into US culture and we don't appreciate Americans who say,
often with good will, "You're so much like us."  That's an insult for
most, but again, they'll be too polite to say so.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
North Vancouver, BC
GO BU!!!