From:
George and Terri Downing <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George and Terri Downing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:30:26 -0400
The NCAA did indeed have a 6-page advertising feature in The Hockey News. I
didn't read it, because it had the magic words "advertising feature" on it.
But I dug it out of the recycle bin to check out the part John mentions.
Here is the excerpt about the origins of Hockey East:

"Several Eastern College Athletic Conference teams, led by the Ivy League
institutions, decided to branch off and form their own league and that left
several schools in a predicament. Those schools banded together, forming
Hockey East..."

Although it's simplified, that seems correct, at least to my memory. What I
would take issue with is this: the "advertising feature" is six pages, as
follows:
Page one: Promo of upcoming Frozen Four in Providence.
Page two: CCHA feature.
Page three: Hockey East feature.
Page four: MAAC feature.
Page five: WCHA feature.
Page six: Profiles of two players from each of the above leagues.

What's missing here? Oh, that's right, there's another major conference. The
ECAC is mentioned exactly once, and that's in the paragraph I quoted above
about the formation of Hockey East. I know we have the annual (and silly)
"the ECAC isn't as good" debates, but I didn't expect the NCAA to subscribe
to that theory.

George Downing
UNH '92

"The pleasure of all reading is doubled when one lives with another who
shares the same books."
- Katherine Mansfield