Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:47:23 -0500
Ben Flickinger wrote:

> Fine, but that kick in the butt has already happened. My point is Title IX
> needs to be amended or thrown out and a whole new law drafted now that we're
> into a totally new situation. Women's sports no longer need a start-up, but
> a way to keep them going or expand them. Title IX does not address this
> correctly, because if it did we wouldn't be seeing men's sports cut to
> comply with the court's current title ix interpretation.

You are much more sanguine about the security of women's sports on campus than I.
Without Title IX still in effect, I'm betting that most athletic departments would
cut back on women's sports.  Perhaps not quickly, but surely.  When things ran
short in the budget, it would be these sports that got cut.  Witness the
University of Oklahoma's attempt to eliminate women's basketball a few years ago.

> At the college level, which is what we're talking about, the door is already
> open. Goto any major college and there will probably just as many women's
> sports as men's, if not moreso to comply with Title IX (especially if
> football is involved) - at UNO there's like 5 men's sports and 9 or 10
> women's sports - down in Lincoln I think it's about 12 to 13 or so. Granted,
> there are probably situations where the facilities and everything need
> improving, but the door itself is already open. Title IX has accomplished
> that, but now the situation has changed and we're using a 20+ year old law
> (or even older, I don't really know or care) to govern a society that has
> changed alot since then, and will continue to evolve and change.

Again, I do not know the specifics of either of the two schools you mention.
However, most Div 1 schools are not yet in Title IX compliance.  More often than
not, they get by on what is called good-faith effort.  So long as they are making
progress, a ruling that they are in violation is suspended.  Progress is being
made, but the situation you describe, complete compliance with the original
interpretation of the law, has not been met.  That it's almost 30 years after the
fact and this is still the case, I question just how "good-faith" the efforts have
really been.

J. Michael Neal