From:
"Laura J. Lyons" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:57:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/99 6:00:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<  I just
 want it to be on a level playing field, and frankly the current law, Title
 IX, creates an uneven field tilted toward the women. >>
oh, puhlease.... tilted toward the women.  do you know how long it takes to
actually get results from title IX?  Four years and counting so far for our
girls hockey team so far. And even at that it always seems to be a fight.
Look, nothing is perfect. Affirmative action is not perfect. Some whites are
turned down from jobs simply because they are white. Does that make the law
bad? No, it makes it flawed just like every other law on the books. The point
is that is works, in theory at least, for the majority of people it's
supposed to work for.
Life isn't fair, but everyone should do their part to make it as fair as
possible.
Oh, one last comment... someone wrote that once women pay for their sports,
then everything would be equal.  As a taxpayer, I pay just as much as
everyone else for the school sports programs. Should I have to pay more just
because my daughter's field hockey team doesn't draw a crowd and support
itself?  If that's true, then even high school sports are a business.
Big-time college athletics maybe, but not high school sports.
Laura