From:
Bob Stagat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Stagat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:01:54 -0800
Greg Ambrose took two more aspirin and objected...

> All this numbers stuff re: the MAAC is ridiculous.
> You are wasting your time.

<snip a bunch of stuff that I totally agree with>

Although I agree with all the rest of the stuff you said, I have to
disagree with your initial statement because...

1) Much of the heated discussion about whether a MAAC team should be
included in the NCAA tourney was initiated and gained momentum because
Quinnipiac was rated so highly by the RPI.

2) For those of us who realize that the RPI is basically an arbitrary and
quite indefensible rating system, the current controversy offers a
splendidly clear example of why the RPI should be replaced.

3) Now, while this controversy rages, is an excellent time to try and get
the RPI replaced with something sensible and credible -- like the KRACH,
say.

4) If we don't do it now, while we have this wonderful example of how
silly the RPI can be, then we'll likely never get it changed, and will be
doomed to carry on 'ridiculous' arguments about 'numbers stuff' forever and
ever.

Bob "There's a little bit of good in every number" Stagat