From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 07:09:28 -0500
Friends,

Time to say goodbye.  Most of you probably didn't know that I was
here.  I've been on the list for years now -- I can't remember how
many, at least seven or eight I think.  I posted some messages in
those first few years, but nothing recently.  Mostly I've just read,
learned a bit, followed my two alma maters (Princeton and
Wisconsin), and put up with the silly bickering between the fans
from BU, Maine, and UNH. As a former member of the Athletic
Advisory Board here at UMaine and the chair of the Academic
Integrity subcommittee of Maine's recent NCAA Certification (no
snide remarks -- we were fully certified and there wasn't a single
concern about that particular section), I'm amazed by the amount of
mis-information (on all sides) that could be avoided if people would
either do some research or be willing to accept facts.

However, the insistence of folks being (in my opinion, humble or
not) silly and demanding the right to put the final scores in the
subject line of their posts is what has finally pushed me over the
edge -- I'll unsubscribe in a few minutes.  We were invited to a
dinner party for last night, and since we don't get out much and
many of our close friends would be there, even though one of the
most interesting (perhaps important, perhaps exciting) games of the
regular season was being broadcast on TV, we decided to go.  So, I
set the VCR, and we made sure the radio was off in the car when
we left the party.  You know "the rest of the story" -- the first email
message I saw -- as the tape was rewinding...  [Yes, I need to
download at least the headers from my waiting email -- for
professional and personal reasons.]

I want to thank all of you for your time, interest, and commitment to
college hockey.  I'll miss reading some of the posts; others I won't.
Before I leave, I want to single out my good friend John (who I met
on here -- and whose sentiments expressed in his "first post in
years" the other day I echo completely) who, along with Mike, was
one of the real thoughtful posters on here for years.  And, of
course, Wayne, for all his hard work and willingness to handle this
whole process for years.

With best wishes, Charlie

Charlie Slavin
Director, University Honors Program