From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:53:17 -0600
> I think that fighting for the most part is misunderstood. If used as a
> "policing" mechanism for the players who act in an improper manner
> (slashing, high-sticking excessively), the fighting will serve the purpose
> it was intended. When players know that their actions may be
> accountable by
> having to drop the gloves, you'd be surprised how quickly the sticks and
> attitudes of many players change.

This is where I disagree -- fighting has always been in pro hockey, and has
stick garbage.  Today, the two-handed slash is commonplace a checking
technique, and it drives me crazy.  IF a little guy does it, and he gets
run, then his team's goon just sticks up for him. The two goons fight, and
no one's worse for the wear.

I don't see fighting doing anything to stop anything, except the flow of the
game.
I don't think injuries have anything to do with it -- as someone else said,
it's just a useless spectacle and a supposed show of manliness. They're
expected to do it, so they do it, or they get called chicken or worse.

AW