From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 17:31:17 EST
Tom wrote:

Sorry - I just can't buy this argument.  If a player is hit with a stick to
the face, he's going to be on the ice bleeding, not dropping his mitts.  The
same argument has been made with regard to cars -  that safer cars (airbags,
etc) has made us a nation of driving risk takers because the consequences of
our actions are not so drastic.  Its not an illogical position, but I think
going back to unsafe cars in hopes that people will drive more carefully
would be stupid.  Face masks save faces (and eyes and teeth...) - not having
them is worse than any extra stick work that might come along because we do
have them.  But you'll have to provide me with some evidence before I buy
the argument that they cause the stick work to begin with.

The car analogy is a good one!

Safe driving habits have digressed in the sense that drivers handle their
vehicles like more than just a means of transportation. In retribution a
driver will speed past the next guy and cut him off because they may have
changed lanes in front of him or taken his parking space.  I don't agree
necessarily with the safety features promoting the recklessness; it's the
mindset!

The same unnecessary violence exhibited out on the ice isn't that dissimilar!
I think the issue of reckless behavior and disregard for other people/players
goes much deeper and permeates society. We are a more violent society. Add to
that the fact that cars go faster.. skaters skate faster. The game is more
physical... the roads are more combative: a by-product of safer equipment only
or  aggressive risk taking behavior!?

There are more serious vehicular injuries due to speed and aggressive or poor
driving habits. This is exactly the case with hockey. Despite the supposed
safer car and the supposed safer equipment....injuries are up! A move
inadvertently one direction or another on the road or on the playing surface
can cause a collision! So, disregarding the equipment that surrounds us,
behavior is what motivates our actions! And, though a feeling of
"invincibility" may convince us we're safe, data shows us this is pure
fallacy. Data at youth levels shows that risk taking behavior is societal.

Collisions are unavoidable at the speeds at which we drive our cars and skate
on the ice. Equipment becomes a moot point when your dealing with those kinds
of speeds. Nothing will alter that except a change in gravitational pull!
Stickwork and illegal play
are comparable to cutting someone off and tailgating, in that both are meant
to intimidate and harass!! Can any of you deny that!?
(-:

Mindset is what you've left out of your hypothesis! Isn't that what turns the
wheel in the first place!

Vicki Price
violentcontact.net
Concussion Free Zone