From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 00:08:06 EST
[log in to unmask], Jan 6,1999, 1:56PM wrote

>The argument is usually just a "Pride in Minnesota" position.

Agreed! Pride was the larger part of the scolarship equation. Woog had that
luxury!

>As to players selected he can certainly be criticized for
>wanting Anderson and not Parrish, for example.

Too many horses in a stable and one is going to bolt! Anderson and Parrish
were both top Bloomington Jefferson players, but Anderson was more highly
touted their recruitment year. I'm not sure Woog offered Parrish a full. I was
told that Woog didn't even offer Matt Cullen a full, who also had higher draft
stature at the time of his recruitment. Both (Parrish and Cullen) of course
went to MN's rival Saint Cloud.

>Or for ignoring Karl Goehring and winding up having to compete >this season
with one frosh goalie and no backup.

Karl was recruited by Woog and went on an official visit. But like others, he
went where he felt he would play and play his first year. Pederson was offered
a full by Woog, but went to CC instead. In print, he said he wanted to
experience being away from home. CC got a package deal, Toby and his brother
(both from Bloomington Jefferson). Woog would have had to match that. There's
a dollar dilemma. Woog passed on Tobey's brother several years before.

Pro defections, Junior A, alternative in-state Division 1 schools, USA
Hockey's Elite program and an undernourished feeder program that is starved
for top level competition begs changes from the state's hockey hierarchy. The
U needs another trail blazer (ie. Mariucci) to spark a state-wide hockey
resurgence!

Vicki Price
violentcontact.net
Concussion Free Zone