Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:24:12 -0500
Kevin Ames wrote:

> The Gophers' men's hockey team, which begins practice this afternoon
at
> Mariucci Arena, has 22 players who share 18 full scholarships. An
> in-state (residence) athletic tender at the University of Minnesota is

> worth $9,355 a year. A nonresident tender is worth $16,255 a year.
> Because the Gophers recruit and tender only Minnesota residents,
savings
> to the athletic department is considerable.  Do the math....

What a bogus statistic.  The product the student is receiving is
identical
in each case.  The difference reflects what the student would pay _if_
he
were actually paying anything, but since he isn't it's a moot point.  I
suppose it might make a difference in internal accounting between the
athletic department, but as a Minnesota taxpayer (and one who _did_ pay
the
higher out-of-state tuition) I will never feel any difference.  And if
you
really want to complicate this, the athletic department should really be

recruiting Wisconsin kids.  By the formula through which the
tuition-reciporcity between Minnesota and Wisconsin is figured,
cheeseheads
pay lower tuition than in-state students, so the sports programs would
save
even more phantom money by only taking them.

J. Michael Neal