From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:28:13 -0600
>At the same time, I'm surprised that only 90% of UVM's tickets sold.  If
>this trend continues, UVM may have to look into changing their ticket
>policy: currently, student season ticket holders have to pick up their
>tickets each week.  Any tickets that aren' t picked up (plus some GA
>tickets that are held out) are available for the general public Friday
>morning.  Gutterson used to sell out under this policy, but the demand
>wasn't there this year.  Since there aren't any tickets available to the
>public until the Friday of (or before) the game, it's very difficult for
> John Q. Public to make "plans" to see a game (especially since you have to
>go IN PERSON to the ticket office during business hours... @!#$!).  I'm
>sure there are many people who would go to the games if they could call in
>advance and get tickets, but you can't.  Ironically enough, I bet that
>Gutterson's reputation of selling out actually hurt their sales last year:
>"Gee, I'd like to go to a game, but tickets are never available, so I guess
>I won't go."

        Of course, I doubt they'd want to lose the mystique of the
Friday morning GA ticket line.  Maybe they could start taking phone
orders at noon Friday if there were any tickets left.

        Cornell also sells leftover tickets Friday morning (mostly
returned visitor seats) but as there are none held in reserve, there's
no guarantee that such leftovers will exist.

                                         John Whelan, Cornell '91
                      <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/joe.html>

Attention ECAC:   Eight is Enough--Flush the Final Five!