From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 10:44:45 -0500
On Thu, 21 May 1998, Robb Newman wrote:

> Of course there aren't that many players near the limit - because there's a
> limit!  The question is, would schools recruit more older players if the
> NCAA repealed the limit?

I don't know how possible it would be. I'm not sure what the age
restrictions are in the US, but in Canada I don't see how a hockey player
could play longer.

A player can only play Junior until he is a 20-year-old. His age, for
purposes of the rule, is determined by the year he is born. So, for the
season coming up, only players born in 1978 or later can play Junior A.*
For last year, only 1977 births or later could play.

If the NC$$ were to allow players to play Junior when they are 21, the
only effect that I see would be to allow 20-year-old Juniors to finish
the season with their teams. As it is, a player has to stop playing after
his birthday, but he's not getting to school any faster.

That said, it is a minority of players who wait until their 20-year-old
year to get scholarships.

See you later,
John

*-Man, I am *really* starting to feel old.

--
John Edwards - Carleton (Ont) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
          Let me get right on that, with thinking. - Officer Barbrady