From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 19:24:44 -0500
Thus far this has been a pretty kewl tour of the radio coverage of the
tourny.  One fan's reviews:

Yale -- amateurish call and color, but still pretty good.  The Bulldog
announcers were the ultimate in "gosh darn we're just happy to be here,
pass the bottle", and even after Jones was hurt and they had every right to
simply lay the blame of the late collapse on injuries, they maintained a
pretty good attitude.  I didn't actually learn anything about the teams,
the play or anything from them, but it was an enjoyable listen despite the
result.  B+

Michigan -- mediocre call, but classy and strong color.  Discounting that
they whined more than a freshman wanna-be about officiating, the team
called a pretty good game.  A wealth of info about UM, of course, but hey
they bothered to learn the names of the Princeton kids, which is more than
some ECAC teams (Harvard) bother to do.  B

Clarkson -- very poor call, awful color.  Constant whining and a poor game
call from guys without a clue.  Possibly the worst call of a game I've
heard (and I've heard Massachusetts high school students' calls...).
Admittedly, it didn't help that the WRPI feed is weak, but rooting for the
Knights while listening to these guys is a serious challenge.  D

New Hamster -- excellent call, excellent color.   Really good play by play,
great info, good interviews, from guys who know the game.  I was really
quite impressed.  Pretty good call, too, though the play by play dude gets
so excited by play around the net that it can be a little hard to
understand.  A

Michigan State --  good call, boring color.  Actually the game has been one
of thos which I'll bet is hard to capture -- a lot of hard work and digging
(think of the Princeton-Yale SF at Placid, or the Cornell-Harvard final two
years ago) which doesn't translate to radio well.  One nice thing is that
the ambient sound -- crowd cheers and such -- is coming across quite well.