From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 13:13:37 -0500
Seeing as no-one has volunteered to do this yet and seeing as
I no longer have a "personal" stake in the NC$$ tournament,
I think that I will volunteer to do the annual NC$$ pool.
(If the prior owners of the pool feel as if they want to retain
ownership, step right in and take it).

As always, the prizes offered will be several large attaboys and
having your name broadcast on the hockey-l list for all your
"friends" and peers to admire(?).

I thought to make this a bit more interesting and thought(?)
provoking this year but holding two contest in one. I want to solicit
input to come up with an interesting and fair scoring technique.

First, I want to make sure that no-one has to submit more than one
entry to take part in one of both pools.

The first pool will be the same as last year. Submit your selections
with the winner of each game and the total number of goals in the
tournament. Total goals will be used as the single tiebreaker.

I thought it might be interesting to have the second pool
award points for choosing the game winners but also to accurately
pick the goal differential between the winner and loser of each game.
I can't quite come up with a scoring method that I like yet so I am
appealing for help. I'd like some way that takes correctly predicting
the outcome of each game and also giving credit for score differential
of each game. Also take into account that I may be doing the judging
by myself and I don't want this to become something to keep me busy
until the start of next season. I also need some advice soon since we
probably want to get this going by mid-week before the regionals start.

Any ideas? Let's hear them!!

By the way, I took in an Albany River Rats game last night at the Knick
in Albany and the city already has their "Welcome NCAA" banners up in
the downtown area.
Mark Lewin
RPI - class of '69