From:
Derek Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Derek Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 21:39:34 -0500
I enjoyed your comments.  I think they were well thought out and
insightful.
Watching MSU play this weekend was a lot of fun, and the games were much
closer than the score indicates.  I can see MSU playing Michigan two more
times this year...the CCHA finals, and in the tourney (unless MSU or
Michigan get shipped out east)

derek

----------
> [...]
> 1. Michigan State
> The Spartans have four tough games ahead of them, but they control their
> own destiny.  Four wins = CCHA championship.  The Spartan defense stifled
> the Wolverines all weekend long, and with Alban in net to handle the few
> chances that get through, I look for the Spartans to win all four.
>
> 2. Michigan
> If MSU somehow loses one of it's last four, Michigan can regain the
number
> one spot in the standings--but Michigan needs to win all four of its
games
> to even have a shot.  Ferris has played Michigan tough (Michigan won 3-2
in
> OT and tied 3-3 at Van Andel) this season so I look at Ferris to be
> Michigan's toughest game, but you can't count out any of the other three.
> Bowling Green is playing tough and is looking to salvage anything they
can.
>  Michigan should pull off all 4 wins and finish 2nd in the CCHA.
>
> 3. Ohio State
> Since Michigan wins the tie-breaker, the Buckeyes can finish no better
than
> 3rd.  But then, you have to give the Buckeyes credit for putting a
> fantastic season together.  Even if they lose to Miami this weekend, the
> Buckeyes can still secure the #3 spot with wins in their remaining 3,
> especially since they win the tie-breaker over Northern Michigan.  I
didn't
> think I'd ever say this, but look for the Buckeyes to pull in the final
> gate with a tight grip on their #3 spot.
>
> 4. Northern Michigan
> Northern faces off twice against a tough Notre Dame squad and finishes
the
> season against the Spartans.  I've already picked the Spartans to win
that
> game, and the Wildcats are fresh from a 3-4 loss to the Irish.  If the
> Wildcats split the series, they will finish the season with 33 points and
> 5th place.
>
> 5. Miami
> Miami has a tough game against OSU and two "easy" (on paper) games with
> Bowling Green, but once again I'm not sure that you can count the Falcons
> out just yet.  They are struggling to save face right now, but it won't
be
> enough to stop Miami.  I like the RedHawks to win out which would give
them
> home ice against the Wildcats.
>
> 6. Lake Superior
> The Lakers have probably the toughest remaining schedule: two games
against
> the Spartans and one against the Wolverines.  Both the Spartans and
> Wolverines need to win and the Lakers could stay right where they are,
even
> without a win.  No one in their right mind wants to play the Lakers come
> playoff time, and perhaps the Lakers would love a matchup with Ohio
State:
> the Lakers are 2-1 against the Buckeyes this year.
>
> 7. Ferris State
> With all four remaining games against the top three teams in the league,
> the Bulldogs don't have it much better than the Lakers.  I look for
Ferris