From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 23:59:56 -0500
In a way, it's ironic that 3rd string Maverick goaltender Rodney McLeod is
going to go down in the books as not only getting the first win for the Mavs
back in October, but also the first shutout in Maverick history (Although
Jason Mitchell, the Mavs leading goaltender, should have gotten one against
Air Force, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades).

The Mavs' special teams were another story this weekend, with the penalty
killing shutting down Huntsville all weekend long, including a 5v3 & 5
minute major yesterday and another 1:30 long 5v3 tonight. Actually,
Huntsville went -1 fer 13 (I think), if you consider they gave up a
shorthander in the first period tonight.

The Mavs power play got 4 goals on the weekend, including both Mav goals in
Friday's 2-2 tie. UNO's power play has been boosted with the addition of Tom
Kowal, who was given the clearance from the NCAA to play these last 6 games
without jepordizing his Junior eligibilty for next season. This gives the
Mavs a double one-timer threat on the point, with Kowal and Pugliese
directing hte Mav attack.

Fan favorite Andrew Tortorella got the only even strength goal tonight, and
Jason White(sh, gwg), and Captain Jeff Edwards(pp). I can't think of who got
the other goal, I think Cavan or Sharma on the power play, but I'm not sure.

UNO won the series 2-0-2, extends their unbeaten streak to 8 (6-0-2), and
improves 11-16-2 in NCAA play. They're at 9-16-0 in Div I play and 11-17-2
overall.

UNO next travels to Maine for a 2 game set before rounding out their
successful first season of play with a 2 game series against Mankato St. at
"The Bullpen" that is the Omaha Civic Auditorium.

Ben F.
U!N!O! U!N!O!