From:
Lydia Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lydia Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:09:43 -0600
First I must say it is upsetting aaron to see a fellow UND student
arguing for the Gophers.....You obvioously have not been to very many UND
games at all....I must agree that the throwing of pop and garbage is
completely uncalled for and tasteless...but I must have missed this 50
poweraide containers that littered the ice and seeing as how I have been
to every game but maybe four since I was a senior in High school...three
years ago..that is pretty strange.  Live animals...well the gopher was a
little out of controll but I remember the days when a good five or more
dead gophers arrived on the ice.It was great and the crowd really
got into it...Whats so wrong about getting the crowd excited....thats
the point.,...and as to whether or not this goes on at other schools,
how about Alaska/Anchorage Seawolves....their dogs for goodness sake but
they throw fish on the ice...and guess what they scoop  them all up and
hand them back out the next night, so the fans can do it again...I think
there is even a farm team out in Mass or somewhere that does the same
thing with fish....how about those people...they aren't a bunch of crazy
college students either.  I think is the idea of getting into a game that
includes taunting the other team and letting your team know that you
support them....throw sieves at the goalie..throw stuffed animals....heck
throw dead ones...all be it gross..And there is a penalty to this
throwing of items.....usually the perpatrater is thrown out of the
game....trust me I've seen several people being escorted right out of the
arena. So they do do something....
   And now on to your second point. As much as I and many others dislike
Jason Blake, I have to say that Abrahamson is no angle....Jason should
have got a penalty, he should have gotten a major even but I say Bretts
hand....no blood no cut no nothing just a lot of whining...sure it hurt
but honestly....he must have learned that routine he did from Blake
himeself...
  anyway just wanted to tell you things here could be a lot worse and
everyone out there throws something.  It just in good fun....Down with
garbage though...