From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:04:55 EST
     While I agree that students should be given some latitude in fan
expression, I think the lack of uniformity between schools is allowing fans
from less responsible campuses to take advantage of those who try to preserve
the dignity of the game.  I believe the only viable solution is for college
administrators to voluntarily agree on the type of expression that's allowable
and to strictly enforce it on their own campuses.  Where fan enthusiasm
interferes with the ice surface, there should be a single, clearly-defined
allowable expression for all, it should be strictly enforced, and it should
require enough effort so as to discourage the practice by itself.

     My proposal is that, after a team scores its first goal, the students
should be allowed to throw one dead Spartan on the ice.  If that sounds
simple, you've probably never tried it.  Real ones are hard to find and and it
seems like, no matter how often you stab 'em, they just refuse to die.  I
think strict, responsible enforcement of such a rule would solve many of the
problems we have with fan behavior today.

Bob Griebel
Michigan '67
Hey Maw, who we playin' this weekend?