From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:28:30 -0500
Unfortunately I did not get a chance to read the original posting about the
academics and athletic discussion.

From experience I can tell you that students definitely believe that
athletes are "given" their grades. It is true that with every group, there
are smart student-athletes,and those that are not so academically inclined.

My frustration stems from some instructors who are resentful of
student-athletes in their class. Of course we will have official absence
forms which we hand to our instructor's stating that we will miss class,
but some of the instructor's are very difficult to athletes.

I chose to play hockey while attending college. My own personal experience
made me a better person. I had very limited amounts of time to do my
homework or assignments. Do other students think that it's fun to leave on
Thursday morning, miss all classes on Thursday and Friday, and then take a
test on Monday without seeing two days worth of class?  I'm not trying to
get sympathy, but it's not a glorious as some may think. It is tough, and
some athletes cannot handle the time constraints that are placed on them.

We have all heard the stories about players having grades given to them,
and classes that are cake-walks, but I can tell you it's not always so
simple.

Will I sit here and tell you that some additional help doesn't occur at
institutions in the CCHA, WCHA, ECAC, and Hockey East? NO, I won't, but
I'll let your mind do the wandering, and see what you come up with.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994
Hopefully I'd be classed as one of the smart ones (M.S., B.S., GTE Academic
All-American)