From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 00:09:20 -0500
Greg Ambrose wrote:

> Mike,I appreciate all your efforts in promotion of college hockey
> over the years but please, correct me publicly if I am wrong, those
> who are compiling (or who have access to) scoring stats for a game
> also have the ability to compile penalties as well. I know I do.  If
> USCHO provides summaries of the game, how much more of an effort is
> it to include the penalty stats?  No more than 5 minutes of the
> person's time. I know this is not your responsibility, but it is
> frustrating for me that the penalty stats do not even appear in our
> on-line bible, USCHO.  Someone has to get this information out!

First, when I was posting the BU boxscores to the Hockey-L list a few
years ago (before Info-Hockey-L), I did not always have access
to the official game sheets. One season I wrote all the penalties and
scores down at the games and posted them to the list. After that
season I gave up doing that, as I much preferred to watch and enjoy
the game.  Instead I used either boxes in the paper(s), or I made
trips into BU to request copies of the game sheets during the week.

Second, I am once again putting the boxes on my website this year
(however I only have two games up so far), from the game sheets and I
can state that it takes me more than five minutes to type all the
penalties up in the format I use.  Depending on the number of
penalties it can take from maybe five to thirty minutes, at least for
me.

Third, I have a question:  What box format is preferred/the best/the
easiest to read?  I see several different ones used when they are
posted.  some have penalties and goals combined together in
chronological order, others have goals and penalties listed
separately (as I do). Some have the time on the right, some on the
left.  Some give the score after each goal, some do not.  Some give
what goal for the season it was for the goal scorer, some do not.

My boxes also have the rosters and stars of the game, along with
things I add, such as a list of players and points for each team,
along with save and powerplay percentage.  That all takes additional
time and I have no idea if it is wanted or appreciated.  But I want
it, so I do it.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers             1997 Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html