From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 15:46:15 -0500
On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Erik Biever wrote:

> Tony makes some good points about ticket prices for Gopher hockey:
>
> >No doubt.  Here at Minnesota, you can get a student season ticket for
> >around $10-11 per game.  Regular tickets are $17 (I think, somewhere in
> >that area)  It's a nice arena, and they usually have a good team, but the
> >prices are outrageous.  When I started at UMD, students were $2, and a
> >season ticket was $40 (based on twenty games)  When I left, they had gone
> >up to (gasp!) $3 and the reserved general seating was $8-10.
>
> Still, somebody has to pay for the arena. Mariucci Arena is not being paid
> for with tax dollars. I have no problem with that; I don't see why anyone
> other than hockey fans should pay for it.  In order to reduce ticket
> prices, though, the University must replace that revenue with something
> else.  There is already advertising on every imaginable surface, so I don't
> know how much farther they can go with that.  The bottom line appears to be
> that ticket prices will remain high unless a compelling argument can be
> made for subsidizing them.
>
> -- Erik

You are correct, sir.  I guess I will be pretty happy paying $17 for a
lower level ticket when, in 2000, the lower level tix for the Saint Paul
Rink Rats will probably be $50, and not as good of a seat. :(

How did the arena get built, monetarily (sp)?  Did they get donations or
bonding or what?  I guess I never really knew.

After reading this, I bet I can easily find your stance on the Twins
situation. Do you like going to baseball games? ;)

Tony